I used to love buying new school supplies even after I graduated. Like paper for the printer and pens and notebooks for a new journal. And colorful folders and sharpies and glue and glitter. Ah school supplies!
Anyway, enough of my reverie. Back to the post at hand. I usually have a set routine in the morning that goes kinda by the wayside during the summer, and especially now because I’m between jobs; I’ve kind of let it lapse.
But now it’s September and back to routine so I thought I would share my morning routine with you:
- I wake up in the morning, wiggle my toes and put my knees to my chest and rock side-to-side a little bit.
- I sit up and hang my legs over the side. I bend over, touch my toes, then back up a few times just to get the blood kind of going.
- I turn off the white noise machine next to my bed and turn on the light there which I leave on for the rest of the day
- From the drawer next to me I retrieve the pill container where I keep a weekly supply of pill doses (I take stuff twice a day). I swallow my Gilenya and a few other meds and supplements in the morning using the waterbottle that I keep on my nightstand and refill as needed.
Then I scoot the wheelchair over to the side of the bed and maneuver myself into it
If the bed is dry I will just pull the covers up and smooth the duvet cover over everything. This is how I make my bed now. Otherwise I will remove the “chux” (see below!) to handwash in the sink, then make up the bed.
I now sleep with chux which are (these https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/reusable-underpads-30/c/ ) reusable bed pads for when I leak during the night.
This is the sexy reality of my life: I have a leaky bladder (this is what we are currently calling incontinence? Uh, OK…) It is the bane of my existence and the most embarrassing symptom I have right now.
I roll myself to the bathroom and do my morning ablutions. If I have items to handwash, I start a sink full of warm water and good smelling, no-rinse Soak then throw them in.
Finally I eat something green before even having coffee (i’m keeping a bowl of frozen peas mixed with nuts, dried cranberries, and a few chocolate chips, moistened with salad dressing and eat a few spoonfuls while the water is heating), then have oatmeal with walnuts before anything else.
I only have 1 cup of coffee (have I mentioned my leaky bladder?), then have tea, cocoa, bouillon, cider or just plain water the rest of the day.
Eating something green first thing in the morning is the most recent habit I have added to my routine. It’s my concession to The Wahl’s Protocol. Next I want to add some regular daily meditating somewhere in there!
Things I’ve learned this week
- Reusable bed pads are called chux.
- It’s okay, may be preferable, to eat apple seeds, so core and all.
- The Bletchley Circle (BBC TV series) only ran for two seasons from 2012-2014 but the concept was apparently tried in the US with The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco in 2018.
- Waterpik Water Flosser replacement tips should be replaced every six months, and if you buy one at a garage sale you should replace the existing one immediately! (Also you can download a user manual at the company’s website.)
- Most peppers are not overly spicy but the ones with the black seeds are hot! Use gloves when removing the seeds and don’t rub your eyes!